Bamboo Dome Building Workshops
The best way to find out about the next workshop is to Sign Up for the News Letter here on the right
The last workshop in Byron Bay between 13th and 21st February 2016 was a great success and will enable us to update the Bamboo Dome Building Guide and also to produce a complete "How To" series of short videos that really explain the details of the process.
Bamboo Reinforced Domes and Now! Basalt Fiber Rebar Reinforced Domes
The method of using bamboo to form the shape of the structure and as a means of reinforcement and support for additional mesh reinforcement is so infinitely creative and very appealing to adventurous DIY types. It is refreshingly simple and low tech and is likely to be acceptable in many tropical countries with a tradition of using bamboo or even on my bush block where I may "build under the radar".
Basalt Fiber Rebar and the Building Code of Australia
It would be difficult at this stage to get "bamboo" through the Australian Building Code. This has led us down the track of finding an alternative to bamboo that behaved like bamboo and we found "Basalt Fiber Rebar"
September 2016 Domeshells Obtains Engineering Certification for a Three Dome Basalt Reinforced Concrete Dome Shell Home
We have broken the ice. Domeshells are the first to design the use of "basalt rebar" for dome building system. This opens the door to providing design and structural certifications for projects anywhere in Australia and many other parts of the world.
The Next Dome Building Workshop
No workshops confirmed yet but there will be more workshops down the track both using bamboo and also basalt.
Coming soon, video series of the last Byron Bay Bamboo Dome Building Workshop
Sign up for the newsletter to get the news and if you need to have a chat or ask a question, give us a call + 61 2 66805500
Who Should Do a Bamboo Dome Building Course
- Men and women of all ages who want to learn the exact method of building Low Cost permanent, strong, safe Bamboo/FerroCement Shell Structures
- DIY builders
- Backyard builders
- Licenced Builders (after completion the opportunity exists to become part of a 'Dome Building Team' and get involved in various dome projects)
General Dome Workshop Description
Our workshops have been hands-on build from start to finish workshop. The most benefit is attained by attending the full training. You will be fully involved in every step of the process of creating a finished structure from a bare slab.
You will acquire a practical know-how of 'How to build your own Ferro cement dome shell using bamboo' including the theory of Ferro cement construction.
We will cover:
- Design principals of Bamboo/Ferro-cement shell structures
- Types of bamboo, harvesting, treating, splitting and preparations
- How to calculate quantities of materials for any size dome
- Process of using the split bamboo to form the dome (or any other) shape
- Process of attaching the mesh to the bamboo frame
- Process of applying layers of render to the structure
- Methods of creating precision openings for doors and windows
- Learn about alternative materials can be used
- Materials that comply with the Building Code of Australia
Receive With Your Registration
- FREE Copy of the latest Bamboo Dome Building Guide
- Full package details
Provided with the Course
- Full WPH&S briefing at the start
- A bound copy of our latest version of the Bamboo Dome Building Guide
- Notebook and pen
- All construction materials and tools
- Permanent water, tea and coffee
- All WPH&S Equipment - gloves, dust masks, eye protection, overalls
Your Trainer - Chris Brown
Chris has been a builder, project manager, designer, inventor for over 40 years. The past 15 have been almost exclusively involved in designing, developing and building dome shaped structures using advanced composite sandwich panel material systems with over 7 years of collaborative research and development experience with Queensland University of Technology Brisbane.
Substituting split bamboo with basalt fibre reinforcing allows this Building system to comply with the Building Code of Australia.
Opportunities for Licensed Builders
Domeshells is now providing full engineer certified council plans for the "Basalt" materials system dome shells for many parts of Australia opening up the opportunity for licensed builders to provide building services to this particular niche.
"It's time to train as many builders as possible to provide services to people wanting to live in dome houses," says Chris.
What You Need to Bring to a Workshop
- Yourself, fit and healthy with no pre-existing physical problems
- Bring some work clothes which you don't mind getting dirty
- Hat and may be your favourite work gloves
- Sturdy shoes or boots
- Construction industry WPH&S White Card.
It is a prerequisite to have a construction industry white card for participation in the course. This ensures that we all understand and take responsibility for safety. A white card can be obtained from a number of providers starting from $39.00 - (you will be issued a receipt and confirmation once you have passed. Please bring proof of your WPH&S ticket to the course).
This workshop is hands on. It is physical and it is the intention for you to experience participating in every aspect of the process